Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Case of the Missing EDK

As I reported via Brightkite a few days ago, one of the units of one of the Homes that I visit was missing their Emergency Drug Kit.

For this particular unit, we do the exchange inside their medroom. I looked through the window into the medroom to see if the kit had been used, and I didn't see it on the shelf. I assumed that meant it had been used and was still out.
When the nurse and I entered the medroom I did a quick scan and still didn't see it.
I told the nurse that I didn't immediatly see their EDK, assuming she would point right out.
She didn't see it either. She searched the room-it was gone.
She alerted the other nurse who began searching records and making calls. I held onto the new kit tightly-marking it as "mine".

By the time I left the floor, they still hadn't found it.

When I showed up the next day, it had been decided that one of the drivers had mistakingly taken the kit (as opposed to one of their staff).

There are two types of drivers: route and stat.
I'm a route driver. I go to the same 6 places every night. I'm normally the only one handling EDKs. Stat drivers bring them on ocasion.

So the stat drivers would have no reason to touch the EDKs-normally.

Which means *I* am the likely suspect!

Now, these EDKs come in varying sizes, but on a normal night, I have one in my hand 'cause it won't fit on my dolly full of stuff.
So if I have a dolly in one hand, and an EDK in the other, where does the extra EDK go?

Nope, I didn't take it. And even if I did, my trunk can't hold an extra EDK. And even if it could, they count them when I get back to the pharm.

Later that night they sent an EDK so that the facility would have one.

Two days later, I show up and they have TWO. The nurses don't know exactly where it came from or where it had been. But "found" it was.

FWIW, the nurses didn't think anyone would steal it because it doesn't have a street value. Really, it doesn't.

No comments: