Sunday, June 8, 2008

Restrooms

I realize it's an odd topic to start a blog with, but it's been on my mind.

So I realize that when one uses the facilities, that your hands become soiled, and therefore need to be cleansed. I'm not disputing this. What I have a problem with, is the way in which we do it.

I've been trained how to wash my hands by grocery stores and restaurants, and while they tell me to use very hot water and hand sanitizer, I still feel that there is room for improvement.

This is the way I see the typical restroom visit happening:

You have finished doing what you do, and are sitting on a toilet.
Your hands are officially dirty and must be cleaned before returning to work, it's the law.

You take your dirty hands, and you touch your pants, shirt, and underclothes all in an attempt to be dressed and modest before leaving the stall.

If tucking in your shirt, your hands go all over the place, tucking and pulling.
It's even possible that you toss your hair.
You then grab your coat or purse and leave the stall.

Wait a minute! You haven't even left the stall yet, and you've already contaminated your clothes and personal belongings! Even if you scrub your hands raw, once you touch your pants, you're dirty again!

Are you not? If touching your clothes right after using the restroom doesn't soil them, what does?
And if it doesn't, how does it soil anything else?

Just my thoughts...

No comments: